Thursday, July 25, 2013

Easy Pillow Cover Instructions No Zipper

Last night I had a crazy dream. I was assisting on a live tv show featuring a segment on a specific quilt. Well the person who was supposed to be featured never showed so they threw someone else in there to do the segment and literally 1 minute before we were to go live she had a panic attack and insisted that she could not do it. I stepped in and had about 30 seconds to figure out how the quilt was made. It looked simple enough so I courageously started and then out of nowhere it wasn't just the quilt top, batting and bottom. There were extra components that I had no idea how to explain. Thankfully I woke up. No quilting tutorial here yet. So on to the pillow covers!

We purchased a ginormous sectional for our living room and it came with three 21" by 21" inch pillows. I love the size but not the geometric pattern. At some point in my life I'm sure I would have loved them, however, after realizing that every home that I've walked into and immediately fell in love with had a country warm feeling I knew they had to be changed.

The first step is finding a fabric you love. This pillow cover is a "pocket" cover, no zipper needed here. In this case I was working on the little blue pillow it was 14" by 14" so I cut one square 15" by 15". The second piece of fabric needs to be longer to allow for overlap for your pocket, cut a 15" by 20" rectangle. Then take the length that is 20" and cut it in half so you have two pieces of 15" by 10"".

You will need to hem the edges that overlap (the half pieces). Take the raw 15" edge and fold it to the inside half an inch, then fold it over again then sew down the strip. It helps if you iron the seam and pin. Do the same for the other piece.

Once both back pieces are sewn take your front piece and lay it right side up. Then place both back pieces on top of it with the right side down. The right side would be the one with the pattern or design. Make sure your back pieces overlap. Then square up the fabric. Pin all the way around and then sew around the edge with 1/4" seam allowance. Flip inside out and voila! 

It's amazing how much personality a pillow can add to a room! Not to mention that fabric is cheaper than going out and purchasing new pillows. Now to decide on fabric for the other two large pillows!

Thanks for stopping by!

Creating,
Leilani



No comments:

Post a Comment